Faculty Members (Department of English )
Dr. Kamiz Uddin Ahmed (Alam)
Associate Professor, Department of English
Dean, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Telephone: +8809613737373, Ext. 150
K Ahmed Alam has 20 years’ teaching experience at the university level. Formerly, he was Associate Professor and Head in the Department of English at a reputed private university. He did his PhD in the Department of English, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka. His areas of interest include Writing, Pedagogy, Postcolonial/ Commonwealth Literature, Dalit Literature, Critical Theory, Cultural Studies, and Translation Studies. He has published a good number of articles in local and international research journals. He participated in numerous international conferences. His published book, Anubadbidya: Itihas O Tattwa (Translation Studies: History and Theory), attracts the attention of the students and academics of the country. He has also completed one manuscript: A Handbook for Theory Beginners. Very often, he writes in esteemed Weeklies and Dailieson literature and literary theory. Besides, he is a Trainer for Quality Assurance in Pedagogy, Curriculum Development and Assessment.
- Anubud Bidya: Itihas O Tattwa (Translation Studies: History and Theories). 1st ed. Dhaka: Desh Prokashoni, 2014. Print.
- “Al Mahmud’s Nishinda Nari: Articulation of a Dalit Voice”. Minority Discourse. 8-14: New Voices Publication, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India, 2014. 8-14. Print.
- “Reading Shakespeare from Islamic Perspective.” An Islamic Critic of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Dhaka: BIIT, 2014. Print.
- “A Feminist Critique of Al Mahmud’s Nishinda Nari.” DIU Studies 3.3 (2008).
- “Chinua Ahebe’s Things Fall Apart: Texualising the History and Historicising the Text.” Northern University Studies in English 1.2 (2012): 21-28. Print.
- “Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s Techniques in Representing the Period of Decolonization in A Grain of Wheat.” New Voices Multilingual International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies 2.5 (2014): 7-13. Print. [Co-author].
- “Postcolonial Paradigms of Translating Poetry.” New Voices Multilingual International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies 2.8 (2015): 19-22. Print.
- "ISA, RSA and Claudius: Hamlet through an Althusserian Lense." UU Journal.1.1(2018) [ACCEPTED].
- “Informal Islamic Education and its Role in Human Resource Development in Society: A Theoretical Evaluation.” IIUC Studies3.0 (2006): 83-92. Print. [Co-author].
- “Viewing Poet Nazrul from the New Historicist Perspective.” New Voices Multilingual International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies 2.6 (2014): 1-7. Print.
- “A Study on A Document of Oppression up to Mass Uprising of 1969:Helal Hafiz’s Poem ‘The Hawker’.” UITS Journal 5.2 (2016): 18-27. Print. [Co-author].
- “Who is Hamlet ?” : Viewing through various Windows. NUB Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities 2.1 (2020 - 21): 9-20. Print.
- The Guest of Honour and Resource Person for an International Conference titled “Rereading Marginality: History, Politics, Economics, Literature and Culture” to be held on 20-21 Jan, 2023 organized by Department of English, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India in collaboration with Prof. Dr. Uttam Ambhore Felicitation Committee, Dr. Rafiq Zakaria Centre for Higher Learning and Advanced Research, Lokseva Education Society’s Arts & Science College, Aurangabad and Milind College of Arts, Aurangabad.
- “Jaladas’s Ramgolam: A Representation of Minority Discourse Voicing the Dalits”, North South University International Conference in English Studies Raptures and Resilience: English Studies In The Now, 4-5 November 2022.
- "Producing and Interpreting Creative Literature and Demonstrating Literary Skills by Students" in IN4OBE Global Virtual Summit 2022 on Day 2/ August 13, 2022 at 9.20 am UTC -2.
- “Selina Hossain’s Vumi O Kushum (Land and Flowers): A Fiction Discourse on the State learner and Statehood of the then Dahagram Enclave” in ULAB multicultural conclave 2022 -- “A Dialogic ImagiNation of Bangladesh: Literary-Linguistic Cultural Representations, Nonrepresentations and Misrepresentation’’ hold in Dhaka, Bangladesh on February 26, 2022.
- “Looking at Jibanananda Das’ Poem “Ah Kite (/ Hay Chil) through a Formalist Lens” Presented in the 1st International Conference on “ The Current Literary Theories and Jibanananda Das” Jibanananda Das Research Centre, University of Barishal, Bangladesh on 11 July 2019.
- “Upshots of Statelessness and Statehood: The Dahagram- Angorpota Context” Presented in international conference on “Partition Politics: Impacts on Society, Economy, Culture and Indo-Bangla Relations (1947- 2018)” Dhaka University (DU). Dhaka, Bangladesh on 11-13 August 2018.
- “ISA, RSA and Claudius: Hamlet through an Althusserian Lens.” Presented in international conference on “The River: Flows of Innovation and Exchange in the Global(i)zed English World” North South University (NSU). Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- “Applying Postcolonial Pedagogy in Teaching Commonwealth Literature.” Two-Day International Interdisciplinary Conference on “Dimensions of Literature and Journalism: History, Ideology and Culture” Dept of Mass Communication & Journalism, Dr B A M University, LCSA, and Writing Today Literary Association. Aurangabad, Maharastra, India.
- “Who is Hamlet: Viewing through Various Windows.” An international conference “Age Cannot Wither Him, Nor Custom Stale His Infinite Variety Shakespeare: Four Hundred Years After” Department of English Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB), Dhaka, Bangladesh[Co-author].
Newspaper and Magazine Articles:
- “An untold story: the tale of early American trade in Bengal.”Dhaka Courier, Vol 29, Issue 51 [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 5 July 2013: n. pag. Print.
- “Baru Chandi Daser Kabyo: Nandonik Anonnota (Baru Chandi Daser Kabyo: Aesthetic Ananyata). ” Srishti Sukher Ullase , Literary Magazine, Dept of English, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB) [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 2012: n. pag. Print.
- “Developing human resources by Department of English at NUB.” The Financial Express [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 21 Dec. 2014: n. pag. Print.
- “Dr. Sadruddin Ahmeder Bishwasahitya Bhabna (Dr. Sadruddin Ahmed’s Thoughts on World Literature). ” Bengali Literary Magazine Prekshman [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 2010: n. pag. Print.
- “Farrukher Kobita ‘Lash’: Noya Itihasbadi Path (Farrukh’s Poem ‘Carcass’: A New Historicist Reading).” Bengali Literary Magazine Farrukh Academy Potrika[Dhaka, Bangladesh] 2014: n. pag. Print.
- “Formalism and Literary Analysis.” Dhaka Courier [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 10 Jan. 2014: n. pag. Print.
- “Marxist literary theory.” The Daily Observer [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 3 July 2015: n. pag. Print.
- “Mimi Khalvati’s Poetic Word.” Dhaka Courier [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 11 Sept. 2015: n. pag. Print.
- “Private Universities should get rid of their Achilles hills.” The Financial Express [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 16 Nov. 2014: n. pag. Print.
- “Rising from the Left Bank.”Dhaka Courier 13 January 2017 [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 13 Jan. 2017: n. pag. Print.
- “Rohingya Exodus and Genesis of Rohingya Rebellion.” Editorial, Daily Sun [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 17 Sept. 2017: n. pag. Print.
- “Siraj-Ud-Daulah: An Everlasting Icon to Freedom-loving People.” The Daily Financial Express [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 29 June 2013: n. pag. Print.
- “Techniques of Public Speaking Skills.” The Daily Observer [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 11 Apr. 2015: n. pag. Print.
- “Uttoradhunikota: Noya Rakhshman shilota O Moha-akhyandroh (Postmodernism: Neo-Conservatism and Anti-Mata narratives).” Bengali Literary Magazine Swapnochaya [Dhaka, Bangladesh] Mar. 2015: n. pag. Print.
- “Ideology/ Hegemony: Marx, Althusser and Gramsci.” Magazine Morning Tea of The Daily Sun [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 4 May 2018: n. pag. Print.
- “An Introduction to an Outstanding Book. (Muslim Traditions In Bengali Literature by Professor Dr. Syed Ali Ashraf). ” Observer Magazine n.d. n. pag. Print.
- “Superb Depiction of Middle-class Life: Short Takes from Bangladeshis by Tanvir Malik.” Independent Magazine [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 13 Aug. 2010: n. pag. Print.
- “A Review on Dakshmin Ashio Jote SAARC: Sankot O Challenge (South Asian Hope SAARC: Will it Survive?) by Dr A Y M Abdullah.” Daily Bhorer Pata 29 September 2014 & Bishwabiddyalay Porikroma Year 24, Eid Issue, 2014 [Dhaka, Bangladesh] 2014: n. pag. Print.
“Anwarul Karim's Water and Culture in Bangladesh Past and Present: A New Pathway to Measure the Value of Water through the Culture of Bangladesh”, The Literary Yard, Delhi, India, 2017 [Co-author].
- Poem ‘Mohamanab’ by Syed Ali Ashraf: ‘The Greatest Man’, The Bangla Academy Journal, Year 32-34, Vol 2-1[July- December 2005 to Janury- June 2007]. Dhaka.`Print.
- Chapters 4 and 5 in Bangla - `wÿY Gkxq †RvU mvK©: msKU I P¨v‡jÄ (South Asain Forum SAARC: Crises and Challenges) from South Asian Hope SAARC: Will it Survive by Dr A Y M Abdullah, Published by Samabesh, Bangladesh, January 2014. Dhaka. Print.
- “O mon Ramjaner oi Rojar sheshe elo khushir Eid” by Kazi Nazrul Islam: “ O Soul, There Comes the Joyous Eid” , Literary Yard, Delhi, July 10, 2017.
- “Nolok” by Al Mahmud: “The Nose Ring”, The Hood, The Daily Sun, 4 Apr 2019.
- A Handbook for Theory Beginners.
- Prachya Kotha (The Orient’s Voice).
- Sahitya Path: Amar Vabna.
- Samprotic Ponktimala
- Undergraduate and graduate level students’ thesis papers.
- Conducted Self-Assessment Survey at English Department.
Primary, Junior, and Secondary Scholarship
- BA (Hons) in English (IU)
- MA in English(IU)
- PhD Fellow in Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka
- “Preparing Course Profiles as part of Curriculum Development”, Workshops organized by SA Committees and IQAC in English, Law and Textile and Engg Departments, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), 2017.
- “Pedagogy and Metacognitive Tools and Techniques”, Workshop for faculty members at Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), October1-3, 2016.
- “Exam Skills for Literature Students”, Department of English, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), 25 May 2016.
- “Students’ Low Proficiency in English: Causes and Remedial Measures”, Department of English, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), July 27, 2009.
- “Public Speaking and Debating in International Context [my part is on “Public Speaking” in a slide presentation followed by a question-answer session” Day-long workshop held in Department of Business Administration, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), June 28, 2014.
- “Get Your English Correct”, Language Club, Department of English, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB), 21 July, 2018.
- “Introducing IQAC” on 12 October, 2020.
- “Training Workshop on Professional Development & Developing OBE Curricula” on 13 & 14 February, 2021.
- “Training Workshop on Professional Development” on 15 February, 2021.
- “Presentation Session on: (i) Alignment of Program Mission and PEO (ii) Alignment of PEO and PLO” on 10 June, 2021.
- “Workshop on OBE Course Outline and OBE Curriculum in the light of UGC instructions” on 28 June, 2021.
- “Workshop on “OBE Course Outline” in the light of the revised template of OBE curriculum as provided by the UGC” on 03 August, 2021.
- “Training sessions on “i) BNQF ii) Course File & OBE teaching” in the light of the instructions of the UGC & BAC” on 04 October, 2021.
- “Presentation session on the activities to be accomplished in the light of BNQF provided by the UGC and the quality assurance guideline provided by BAC” on 08 November,2021.
- “Training on Professional Development” on 27 December, 2021.
- “Training on Professional Development” on 03 January, 2022.
- “Training Session on “Lesson Differentiation in Higher Education Teaching” in the light of instruction of the UGC and BAC” on 04 January,2022.
- “Training Workshop on Quality Assurance, OBE Curriculum & Accreditation” on 14th March,2022.
- “Training Workshop on Quality Assurance, OBE Curriculum & Accreditation” on 15th March,2022.
- 7-day long Training on Pedagogy at GTI, Mymensing Agricultural University under the HEQEP Project by The World Bank and Education Ministry from 20 to 26 December 2015.
- “Postgraduate Conference 2012 on Language, Literature, and Cultural Studies in the 21st Century: Translocating/Transgressing Boundaries” organized by Department of English, Jahangirnagar University on 25&26 May 2012.
- “Training on Effective Teaching and Learning” organized by Northern University Bangladesh on 12 January 2012.
- “Training Course on Training of the Trainers (TOT) for the Continuous professional Development(CPD) on English Under Teaching Quality Improvement in Secondary Education Project (TQI-SEP)” , Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education , Ministry of Education from 15 to 20 March, 2008.
- Two-day long workshop on “Epistemology & Curriculum” at Institute of Education and Research (IER), University of Dhaka held on 4-5 April 2008.
- “Workshop on Faculty Development (How to Teach Non-Fiction, Poetry, Fiction, Creative Writing, Reading, Language through Literature, Writing, Short Story, and Drama)” under the auspices of the Department of English, Eastern University Bangladesh from 5 May to July 2010.
- Sustainable Socioeconomics Development through Excellence in Higher Education from 16-04-2022 for 12 days by Bangladesh Accreditation Council.
BA ( Hons):
Language: Writing, Reading
Applied Linguistics: Discourse Analysis, TLT Methods and Material Development, Syllabus Design, Testing and Evaluation.
Literature: Introduction to Drama, 17th Century Prose and Drama, 18th Century Prose and Fiction, 18th Century Poetry, Romantic Poetry, Victorian Poetry, Victorian Novel, 20th Century Drama, 20th Century Poetry, Practical Criticism, Colonial and Postcolonial Literature.
MA in Literature/ MA in English Literature and Cultural Studies: Cultural studies, Critical Theory, Continental Literature, Commonwealth Literature, Shakespeare.
MA in : Advanced Grammar, Research Methodology, Approaches to ELT, Translation Studies, Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning
His areas of research include Postcolonial/ Commonwealth Literature, Dalit Literature, Critical Theory, Cultural Studies, and Translation Studies.