Academic Rules and Regulations
International Standard University (ISU) offers 6 (six) programs, i,e, BBA, BA in English, CSE, Textile Engineering, MBA & MA in English Literature & Cultural Studies and with a view to ensuring quality education, Our all programs are governed by certain academic regulations. These are as follows:
1.0 Course Registration:
All students are required to register their courses by filling in the prescribed ‘Registration Form’ (available at the respective department and in the web site) in each semester until they have fulfilled all graduation requirements. Besides, without registration credits will not be counted. The date and time of registration will be announced in the Academic Calendar by the respective department. It is expected that all students should complete their registration within the scheduled period.
2.0 Late Registration and Add-Drop of Courses:
- A student seeking to register after the scheduled date has to take permission of the concerned respective Chairperson of the Department. A late fee of Tk. 500/- (five hundred) for late registration may be imposed as decided by the authority after the prescribed schedule.
- A student may add/drop course(s) only within the date mentioned in the Academic Calendar with the approval of the Chairperson of the Department.
- If any student fails to complete the course registration within the deadline, then s/he shall be considered as unregistered for that particular semester and consequently s/he shall be barred from attending any classes or examinations.
3.0 Class Attendances:
Students are expected to attend all lectures, tutorials, lab works etc. of the courses that they have registered. At least 80% class attendance is a must to attend the final examinations. Students having 70%-below 80% class attendance will be allowed to take part in the final examinations with a fine per course of Tk.500/- (five hundred).
4.0 Semester Leave / Leave of Absence:
- A student, who requires spending a period of time away from the university, may request for a leave of absence. In this regard, the student must apply stating valid grounds to the concerned chairperson of the department.
- Permission for leave of absence/advance semester leave should be taken before the commencement of a new semester.
- The length of leave is maximum for two consecutive semesters.
- No fees will have to be paid by a student during such leave but his right to use university facilities is suspended while the leave is in effect.
- A student, who is suffering from a prolonged illness, may request for further period of leave of absence on medical grounds. To qualify for such an extension a student must submit a comprehensive medical report along with the application.
- If any student is found absent/unregistered up to two consecutive semesters without having permission, s/he has to pay Tk. 1,000/- as fine for each semester dropped to continue the study at ISU.
However, if any Bachelor or Master program student is found absent/unregistered without permission for more than two consecutive semesters, s/he will be considered as a discontinued student. If such student wishes to continue the study, an appeal may be made to the Registrar through the concerned chairperson of the department for re-admission. The competent authority of the university will take the decision for re-admission.
5.0 Transfer of Credits:
Students of other recognized universities or of higher learning institution may apply for credit transfer at ISU. Completed courses from the said institutions should be similar & equivalent to the corresponding course(s) at ISU and only 60% marks to equivalent grade & above are accepted. The interested candidate may apply to the Chairperson of the concerned department along with the following documents:
- Official Transcript (original) of the completed courses.
- Detailed Syllabus of the completed courses.
- No Objection/Migration certificate from the previous institution is preferred.
The Equivalence Committee of the respective department of ISU will determine the equivalence of the courses applied for. The maximum credit may be allowed to transfer up to 50% of the total credits required for graduation of a particular program of study at ISU. Students who wish to apply for credit transfer must do so at least 1 (one) week before the commencement of a semester.
6.0 Fees & Charges:
- It is the responsibility of all students to be familiarized with the procedure regarding payment of fees and other charges of the university.
- All students are charged with the full fees and charges unless the university determines that a student pays the reduced fees.
- Tuition and semester fee for each semester will have to be paid in full amount during the course registration of the semester or by three fixed installments as stated in the Academic Calendar.
- A late fee of Tk. 500/- (five hundred) for each installment may be imposed, if payment is made after the instalment payment schedule as prescribed in the Academic Calendar.
- Dues (if any) should be settled at least two weeks before the final examination, otherwise students might be barred from sitting in the final examination. Moreover, results of their examination will be withheld until the fees are being settled.
- The university has the right to revise the fee structure with prior notice.
7.0 Refund Policies:
- A student will be entitled to get 100% refund of paid amounts, if the university is unable to offer that particular program.
- A student will get 90% refund of fees paid excluding admission fee, if s/he submits an application to the Registrar for withdrawal from the program within one week of his/her admission.
- If any student gets expulsion from the university due to fake information during admission, s/he will not get any refund of paid amounts at any stage.
8.0 Course Withdrawal:
A registered student shall be entitled to get 50% refund only from tuition fees payable for the respective semester as follows:
- S/he must apply within the first week of classes after mid-term examinations.
- Application should be submitted to the chairperson of the department through the concerned Course Teacher.
- No application will be considered after the said period of time and consequently a student will liable to pay 100% payable amount of all charges for the semester.
9.0 Semester Drop:
A registered student shall be entitled to get 50% adjust to the next semester only from tuition fees payable for the respective semester under the following terms and conditions:
- S/he must apply within two weeks of the commencement of the semester.
- Application should be submitted to the chairperson of the department through the concerned batch adviser.
- No application will be considered after the said period of time and consequently a student will be liable to pay 100% payable amount of all charges for the semester.
10.0 Academic Performance:
All students are required to maintain a minimum CGPA of 2.00 to remain on acceptable academic standing. If a student who obtains a CGPA below 2.00 will be considered on probation status. Accordingly a student who gets on probation status for 2 (two) consecutive semesters and if the ISU authority finds in him/her no hope of improving, s/he may be dismissed from studentship.
11.0 Criteria for Semester Promotion:
No semester fail status would exist under the credit hour system. If any student earns minimum "D" grade in a course, s/he would be credited and promoted.
If one student fails more than 03 (three) courses, s/he will not be promoted to the next semester.
12.0 Academic Dismissal:
A student shall be dismissed from the University if:
- S/he gets admitted by giving fake information.
- S/he commits a breach of any of the university regulations.
- His/her semester GPA is less than 2.00 consecutively in 2 (two) semesters.
- S/he fails a particular course up to fourth attempt.
- ISU also reserves the right to suspend or dismiss any student from the university or any of its classes for the interest of the university.
Besides these, regarding academic dismissal, different codes of ISU (like, Students Code, Exam Code, Exam Offense Code etc.) will be followed.
13.0 Disciplinary Action:
- A student,
whose behavior does not conform to ISU regulations, is a subject to
disciplinary action. As a politics free institution, ISU absolutely prohibits
any political activities (direct or indirect) within the ISU campus. Any sorts
of demonstration, procession, postering, bannering against the rules &
regulations of university and administrative decisions are strictly prohibited.
- A student is strictly prohibited to organize any movement against any academic or administrative staff of ISU.
- A student, who is found involved in any of those prohibitions, may face disciplinary action from the university.
Besides, disciplinary action will be taken as per the code “Student’s Code of Conduct” of ISU.
14.0 Policies for course Retake /Improvement:
- As for the improvement of any grade (up to ‘A-’ grade), the incumbent student may be allowed to repeat only one time for a particular course, which should be repeated within next two consecutive semesters.
- However, if any student wishes to take this privilege, s/he has to take written permission from the Chairperson of the concerned Department and a copy of permission must be sent to the office of the Controller of Examinations within seven days from the date of publication of results.
- Better grade will be accepted against that particular course for improvement in question, and the previous grade will be marked as ‘R’ (repeated), and excluded from GPA computation.
- For repeat/improvement of a course, a student has to register the course as per rule.
15.0 Graduation Requirement:
- All required credits of the Bachelor program should be passed within the maximum length period as per UGC rules.
- All required credits of the Masters program should be passed within the maximum length of period as per UGC rules.
- Minimum CGPA should be at least 2.00.
- Should be free from any negative report from the ISU authority.
- Have fulfilled co-curricular requirements.
- Have fulfilled other requirements of the university.
16.0 Eligibility for Entry to Examination:
No student shall be eligible to take part in any semester final examination unless:
- S/he is officially registered for particular course(s).
- S/he has fulfilled the required percentage of class attendance & other requirements.
- S/he has fulfilled the required payments of fees and other charges.
17. Attendance in Semester Final Examination:
- A registered student is required to attend the semester final examinations and s/he must put the signature in the exam attendance sheet of all courses.
- If any student is found absent in examination without permission, s/he will be deemed to have failed the course and consequently an ‘AB’ (Absent) grade will be recorded in the semester result against the course(s).
18.0 Cheating in Examination:
- If a student is found to have committed a breach of any rules and regulations of the examinations or any procedures/instructions made there under the regulations, such candidate shall be deemed to have committed an offence and will be liable to disciplinary action. Such action may like be drop of the current semester, expulsion for an academic year or expulsion from the University etc based on the weight and gravity of the offence. In addition, the student will be deprived from enjoying any financial assistance in the following semesters as the ISU authority decides on case by case basis.
- If a student receives expulsion from the University for cheating, s/he cannot be re-admitted.
- Besides this, any irregularities regarding examination offence will be solved by the code “Examination Offences and Disciplinary Actions” of ISU.
19.0 Special Examination:
- Testimonial and Student Performance Report:
(i) If any student cannot appear at the Semester Mid/Final Examination on medical grounds or unavoidable circumstances acceptable to the concerned authority, s/he may
opt to sit for the special examination for the missing course(s).
(ii) An application should be submitted to the Controller of Examinations within 7 (seven) days from the date of exam held through the chairperson of the department with the supporting documents.
(iii) Supporting documents (medical certificates, etc.) should be attested by the Chairperson of the concerned Department.
(iv) Special Final Examinations must be held within two (2) weeks of after commencement of the following semester.
(v) If any student fails to appear at special final examination on that stipulated time, then ‘AB’ (absent) will be given in his/her course(s).
(vi) Special Mid/Final Examination fee is Tk. 1000/- (or as decided by the authority from time to time) per course.
- Policy for Re-Sit Examinations
(i) For an
‘F’ grade of a course(s) a student may be given a chance for re-sitting for the
Exam of the course(s) 2 weeks after the commencement of the start of the
following semester. The Exam will carry 50 marks equal to the marks allocation
of the usual Final Examination. In this case, the student’s performance of
continuous assessment and midterm exam will remain unchanged.
student has to apply for re-sitting for the exam to Controller of Examinations
through Chairperson of the concerned Department duly within one week of the
publication of the results of the Final Exam.
(iii) Fees of re-sitting exam will be Tk. 2000/- (Two thousand) for each course.
(iv) If the student fails the re-sitting exam once, s/he will have to re-register the course for re-taking the exam duly within the next two consecutive semesters.
(v) The consideration will be applicable to the student’s having ‘F’ grades in the maximum number of 03 (three) courses.
20.0 Examination & Grading System :
- The performance of a student in a theoretical course of study will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria.
(i) Continuous assessment (assessment of class attendance, class performance, class test and/or assignments etc.).
(ii) Semester Midterm Examination.
(iii) Semester Final Examination.
The distribution of marks in the continuous assessment, Semester Midterm and Final Examination will be as follows:
The letter grades and the
corresponding grade-points will be awarded for the theoretical courses in the
Regular Examination and for the practical courses in accordance with the
provision shown below: Apart from the letter grades listed
above, the students may be awarded some other letter grades for their different
status in a course. The letter grade “I”
will be given for the incomplete of a course of a student. The letter grade “AB” will be given for the course(s)
the students absent in Semester Final Examination and “E” will be given for the course(s) the students expelled in
Semester Mid/Final Examination.
Grade Point Average (GPA) of a student will be computed without the grades
- Every course has a certain number of credit hour which describes its weightage. The credit hour of a theoretical course and the credit hour of a practical/sessional course refer to contact hour per week and half of the contact hour per week of the courses respectively. The number of credit hours a student has completed satisfactorily and the weighted average of the grade points he/she has maintained measure the performance of the student. Calculation of Grade Point Average (GPA) can be explained as follows:
21.0 Appeal for Re-evaluation of the answer scripts / Result:
- If any student wants to re-evaluate his/her Answer Scripts of the final
examination, s/he has to submit a written application to the Controller of
Examinations within 7 (seven) days from the date of publication of the results.
- Fee for
re-evaluation is Tk. 1000/- per course non-refundable.
Besides this, any irregularities regarding examination offence will be solved by the vide code “Examination Offences and Disciplinary Actions” of ISU.
22.0 Grounds of Appeal of Re-evaluation:
An appeal may be made on any or all of the following grounds:
- If a student strongly believes that s/he deserves more marks than s/he got.
- If a student believes that, her/his marks have not been counted in full.
Besides these, the examination system i.e. all kinds of examinations of ISU will be conducted as per the vide code “Code of Conduct of Examinations” of ISU.
23.0 Policy for Re-Admission:
- A student, who is dismissed once from the university, will not be considered for re-admission.
- However, consideration may be given to case by case, based on medical/emergency
reasons that are acceptable to ISU authority.
- Application of re-admission should be submitted to the Registrar, through the chairperson
of the department and the decision on the appeal for re-admission will be
subject to university rules as framed from time to time.
- A written recommendation for re-admission must be submitted by the parents
(physically) along with the application, stating the valid causes of drop.
- Without a written recommendation of parents and without the physical attendance
of parents, no application for re-admission will be considered.
- Fee of
re-admission is Tk. 5,000/- (five thousand).
24.0 Policy for Merit Scholarship:
In order to
encourage the students, ISU management has decided to award scholarship based
on the semester final results. The
requirements of the scholarship for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd position are as follows:
are determined on the basis of obtained GPA.
the GPA are equal, then on the basis of percentage of total marks.
percentage of total marks are equal, then on the basis of the 4th digit of GPA.
- If the
4th digit of GPA are equal, then on the basis of SSC & HSC Results.
- Each and every student should have registered him/her self with a full load (15 credit hours for Months’ semester).
and every class size should be a minimum of 10 students; and
semester result should be a minimum GPA of 3.50.
25.0 Policy for double Major:
ISU introduces the provision for double major upon fulfilling the following requirements:
- The student must get prior permission from the chairperson of the department
for second major before the final examination of last semester, and a copy of
permission must be sent to the office of the Controller of Examinations
The student must complete his/her degree from this university.
- Upon completion of the second major, only one certificate would be issued.
- After publication of final result, no application would be considered for
26.0 Certificate Name of the Graduates:
- Academic Credentials (provisional certificate, main certificate, academic
transcript, testimonial etc) will be prepared for students of ISU as per spelling
of their names printed in their main certificates /transcripts of
- After publishing of said the academic credentials (maintaining the
above-mentioned criteria), if any student found any problem in his/her name,
then s/he must apply to the Controller of Examinations for correction of name
with corrected spelling along with Tk. 1000/- as correction charge.
- Due to unavailability of English spelling of a name in the whole academic
career of a student, the said academic credentials will be prepared as per the
English spelling written by the student in his/her ‘Admission Form’ of ISU.
- If ISU found Bengali name of a student in the certificate/transcript of SSC or
equivalent examination then, English name will be considered from immediate
after (SSC/equivalent) educational documents (if any).
- No professional degree like Doctor, Barrister, and Advocate etc will be printed
in the beginning of a name. If any student wants to add such professional
degree in the beginning of his/her name, then s/he must get prior permission
from the Controller of Examinations.
- Normally, Final Transcript is issued after a formal confirmation of a degree by
the Central Board of Examination of ISU.
- Fee of each set of Final Transcript is Tk. 500/- (Transcript).
- A partial (semester) transcript may also be issued on request, and a fee of Tk.
100/- is imposed for each semester.
- If anybody looses his/her final transcript, then s/he has to apply to the
Controller of Examinations along with the copy of the general diary (GD) made
with a police station.
- After necessary verification, the Examination Department will issue a duplicate
transcript to the incumbent student and the word “Duplicate” will be printed on
28.0 Provisional / Main Certificate:
- After a formal confirmation of the degree by the Central of Examination Committee
of ISU, a Provisional Certificate is issued to the students prior to holding
- Fee of Provisional Certificate is Tk. 1000/- (One thousand).
- The main certificate is issued after the degree is conferred at the convocation
by the Chancellor of the University, provided that the Provisional Certificate
must be surrendered by the student to the office of the Controller of
- If anybody loses his/her Provisional Certificate, then s/he has to apply to the
Controller of Examinations along with the copy of the general diary (GD) made
with a police station and a copy of "lost" notice published in a
national daily vernacular newspaper.
- After necessary verification, the Examination Division will issue a duplicate
Provisional/Main certificate to the incumbent student and the word “Duplicate”
will be printed on the certificate.
29.0 Release of Student Information:
records/information are considered as highly confidential. Therefore -
- All confidential information will be supplied directly to the incumbent
- No confidential information (like results) will be given over telephone/e-mail
to the student or to the parents/guardians of students.
- No confidential information will be furnished to a student’s parents/guardians
without written consent of the student.
30.0 Testimonial and Student Performance Report:
A student, has
to pay Tk. 100/- (One Hundred) only for each document to respective Student
authority of ISU deserves the right to amend, modify and add to any