B.A. (Hons.) in English
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
PEO to Mission Statement Mapping
|Mission Statement||PEO 1||PEO 2||PEO 3||PEO 4||PEO 5|
Program Learning Outcomes (PLO)
- PLO 1: Communicate in English language in diverse contexts.
- PLO 2: Read, analyze, interpret, appreciate, and research literature in English.
- PLO 3: Analyze, explicate and research varied aspects of the English language.
- PLO 4: Exploit and research applied linguistics pertinent to English language teaching.
Mapping of POs to PEOs
|PEO 0||PEO 1||PEO 2||PEO 3||PEO 4|
Providing students with broad theoretical and practical knowledge and deep understanding of English language, literature, and linguistics; developing students’ language and communication skills through employing a theory and technology-enhanced approach to teaching listening, speaking, reading, and writing; cultivating students’ critical and creative thinking skills and fostering their research capabilities; conducting theoretical, empirical, practical, and comparative research on the English language, literature, and linguistics; exploiting the intersection and mutual benefits between the English language/ linguistics and modern technological applications.
Areas of Concentration
- GPA of at least 2.5 (or 2nd division) in both SSC and HSC exams.
- GPA of at least 2.00 either in SSC or HSC exam but the total GPA of SSC & HSC must be at least 6.00.
- O-level with at least 5 subjects and A-level with at least 2 subjects in which there must be at least ‘B’ grades or GPA 4.00 in 4 subjects and ‘C’ grades or GPA 3.50 in the remaining 3 subjects.
- North American High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Direct admission for students having GPA 5 in both SSC & HSC, 5 “A’s” in O-Level and 3 “A’s” in A-Level.
|Course Category||No. of Courses||Credit per Course||Total Credits|
|Second /Foreign Language||1||3||03|
|Language and Linguistics||9||3||27|
- Completion of 126.0 credit hours.
- Passing of all courses individually and maintaining a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
|Particulars||Unit Cost (in Tk.)||Total (in Tk.)||Mode of Payment|
|Admission Fee + Form Fee||10500||10500||Once|
|Tuition Fee (Per Credit) (Total 126 credits)||1600||201600||Semester- wise|
|Internship Registration Fee||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Student Activities Fee||500||4000||Semester-wise|
List of Courses
|Particulars||Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
GED Core Courses
|ENG 100||Remedial English||0|
|ENG 101||English Composition||3|
|ENG 102||English II Oral and Written Communication||3|
|GED 119||History of the Emergence of Independent Bangladesh||3|
|GED 117||Functional Bangla||3|
|GED 107||Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology||3|
|GED 111||Computer Fundamentals and Web Technology||3|
|Program Major Courses||ENG 401||Old English Literature in Translation||3|
|ENG 402||Medieval English Literature||3|
|ENG 403||Renaissance English Literature||3|
|ENG 404||Introduction to Poetry||3|
|ENG 405||Introduction to Prose and Drama||3|
|ENG 406||Shakespearean Drama||3|
|ENG 407||Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama||3|
|ENG 408||Restoration and 18th Century English Literature||3|
|ENG 409||Romantic Poetry||3|
|ENG 410||English Novel from Austen to Hardy||3|
|ENG 411||Victorian Prose and Poetry||3|
|ENG 412||American Literature I||3|
|ENG 413||American Literature II||3|
|ENG 414||Modern English Literature||3|
|ENG 415||South Asian Literature in English||3|
|ENG 416||African and Caribbean Literature in English||3|
|ENG 417||Critical Theory& Criticism||3|
|ENG 418||Colonial and Post-Colonial Literature||3|
|ENG 419||Classics in Translation||3|
|ENG 420||Research Methodology||3|
|Language and Linguistics Courses||ENG 201||Spoken English and Phonetics||3|
|ENG 202||Reading & Writing||3|
|ENG 203||Developing Vocabulary||3|
|ENG 204||English for Professional Purposes||3|
|ENG 205||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|ENG 206||English Language Teaching (ELT)||3|
|ENG 207||Fundamentals of Sociolinguistics||3|
|ENG 208||Teaching Language through Literature||3|
|ENG 209||Academic Writing||3|
|ENG 210||Teaching Second Language Skills||3|
|ENG 211||Language and Media||3|
|ENG 212||Discourse Analysis||3|
|Second/Foreign Language Courses||FLN 101||Foreign Language Spanish||3|
|FLN 102||Foreign Language French||3|
|FLN 103||Foreign Language Japanese||3|
|Minor Courses||ENG 301||Introduction to Bangla Literature||3|
|ENG 302||History of English Literature||3|
|ENG 303||History of England||3|
|ENG 304||Western Philosophy||3|